WHO WE ARE
Space Coast Christian Co-op was created by a group of parents seeking to enrich their homeschooled children’s education with quality Christian-based tutoring, while providing opportunities to learn and fellowship alongside other homeschooled students. We meet Thursdays on the beautiful campus of Grace United Methodist Church at 65 Needle Blvd. Merritt Island, Florida 32953.
We are a cooperative, in every sense of the word, of parents, tutors, and students, all working together to create academic excellence in a loving environment.
We Pursue Excellence in Academics
We are not a school. Our tutors provide quality learning opportunities in a classroom setting so that students can enjoy working alongside their friends and peers. Our classes meet every Thursday during the Brevard County academic year from 9 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., with a 5-block schedule. The students are given a schedule to follow the remaining days of the week. You, the homeschooling parent, are ultimately their teachers and are responsible for following up with their work daily.
You are able to choose which classes you want your child to attend in an à la carte style, paying your tutor $8 per week, per class. Classes may require a Materials Fee, also payable to the tutor. Please see our Classes page for more on the Class Fees.
We Enjoy Fellowship
Academics are of primary importance, yet secondary to learning is the need for fellowship and support. Here at SCCC, we direct our love to God horizontally by allowing socialization and by encouraging student and parent support both on campus and out of Co-op. We serve our homeschooling community by hosting two dances during the year (for 7th – 12th graders) and a Prom for the high school students in the Spring. We also have field trips and extracurricular activities throughout the school year. Academically and socially, students and parents may be involved with extra-curricular activities, prayer, tutoring, homeschooling support, and encouragement. For Seniors, the SCCC celebrates with a Graduation Ceremony in May.
It’s All About Jesus
Our tutors base their lesson plans and curriculum on a Christian world view and teach in a loving and supportive atmosphere, working closely with their students and parents. During our Registration process, we ask our families to read and sign our Statement of Faith, which explains our Biblical beliefs.
1. Purpose: Space Coast Christian Co-op provides high quality academic tutoring to home schooled students, who must be registered as homeschoolers with the Brevard County Education Department, or through an umbrella school such as Christian Heritage Academy. No students who have been expelled or dismissed from an educational institution (whether private or public) will be admitted as a student.
SCCC has no tolerance for smoking, vaping or the use of drugs or alcohol. Any student found doing any of the above at co-op or a co-op function will be asked to leave the co-op permanently. Expelled students are not allowed to attend dances, prom or SCCC functions.
2. Legal status: Space Coast Christian Co-op, Inc. is non-profit corporation. We are a tutoring service, not a school. Each tutor is an independent contractor. The tutors may assign grades, but these are for the parent’s use only. The parents, ultimately, are responsible for their own child’s education.
3. Use of church building: We must remember that we are guests of Grace United Methodist Church and our behavior should be reflective of the respect we have for this church home. Please no running in the halls, we ask that students use the stairs, and keep noise to a minimum in-between classes.
4. Admittance to Co-op: Students must be no older than 18 years of age, and no younger than 10 years of age as of August 1st of the school year. A parent or legal guardian is required to stay at Co-op with any student under the age of 12. We ask that students have age appropriate reading skills and be able to comfortably sit in a traditional classroom setting.
5. Dress Code: Space Coast Christian Co-op asks that our students dress modestly and adhere to the following guidelines, so as to not be a distraction to other classmates:
• Guys – No tank tops or offensive graphics on T-shirts. No low-riding pants with undergarments visible.
• Girls – No tank tops, spaghetti straps, open midriff shirts, offensive graphics on T-shirts, low-cut tops. Shorts must be middle-thigh length or longer (in other words, no short-shorts). Dresses and skirts should be knee-length.
6. Discipline: Space Coast Christian Co-op seeks to create a loving environment, where tutors, parents, and volunteers help to guide the students in making wise and safe choices. The following is the sequence of consequences that would be implemented if correction of a behavior or attitude is needed:
a. First admonition – verbal warning to the student in private
b. Second admonition – contact parents by phone or email
c. Third admonition – schedule a conference with the parent, tutor, administration, and possibly the pastor to resolve the conflict
This is not intended to be implemented for every little infraction, but to address ongoing attitudes and behaviors that are disrupting the classroom, making it difficult for the tutor to teach and the students to learn.
“But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!”
—Galatians 5:22, 23 NLT